Monday, February 2, 2009

How I love Mark Bittman.

To try to "use it up," and also to eat healthier and more sustainably, I have been futzing around with Mark Bittman's How to Cook Anything Vegetarian, as well as his Bitten blog on the NYT. He frequently gives techniques and variations, rather than just a straight recipe, which helps me work in various things I need to use up. Today for lunch I made a Bittman pasta (http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/30/flavorful-pasta-and-no-work/) for lunch that used up the dregs of some gorgonzola, pasta from the cabinet, 3 day old No Knead Bread (cut into cubes and crisped in olive oil, plus a little freeze-dried rosemary (from my sad sad plant that I forgot outside). Pretty tasty and virtuous! (We have managed to completely fill our composter already this winter, so I am making one out of an old Rubbermaid 30+ gallon garbage can (drilled with lots of holes)... Wish me luck!)

No comments: